If you’re planning a landscaping project involving pea gravel, you need to know exactly how much of the material you will need. Ordering too much or too little is a great way to ruin your project before it begins. Here are some commonly asked questions from property owners:
- How deep should pea gravel layers be? — Typically, each layer of gravel should be between 2 and 2.5 inches.
- Do I need a base layer of crushed rock? — Usually, yes, it’s best to have a base layer for crushed rock. It does, however, depend on the topsoil being used.
- How much do I need? — The amount of gravel you need varies depending on what kinds of landscaping projects you’re planning on doing. For instance, if you need weed control on your property, a one-inch layer of small rock gravel can work great. But for larger projects, you’ll need much more. Luckily, there is a gravel calculator you can use to figure out exactly how much material you’ll need. For example, if you need enough gravel to cover a 50 x 50 landscape (at two inches), you’ll need approximately 15.4 cubic yards of product gravel.
- How often does the gravel need to be replaced? — Depends on local weather and use, but it’s good to order a little extra pea gravel so you can add new layers as needed.
- What should I look for in a gravel supplier — Make sure to find a landscape supply company that quarries its own gravel. You should do this because you’ll not only get a high quality product, but you’ll also benefit from the professional landscaping advice experienced companies can provide to you.
Good luck as you improve your property with excellent gravel products. If you want to find out more about this type of gravel or if you want to find quality potting soil for gardening and other landscaping supply products, contact Southern Landscaping Materials today.